Dale's Reviews > A Short Autobiography

A Short Autobiography by F. Scott Fitzgerald

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir-autobiography

Fitzgerald is a tough one to critically review: I feel like his books shimmer on my shelf, full of art deco design and illegal liquor and cigarette holders. There's an allure there that you want to live inside, even when there's also shallowness, pettiness, and depression. That said, I'm quite immune when there's this little to draw you in. I agree with those who say there are some later gems and some moments of brilliance in the earlier works, but I really don't think these even remotely compare to some of his greatest work, and in particular, in the short-form. It's almost besides the point for me whether the works are technically fiction or nonfiction.

For me, and this is entirely just my own preference and humble opinion, nothing in this book even remotely reaches the giddiness and zeitgeist (sorry, I know, it's a pretentious word, but I don't know how else to describe it) revealed in the last few lines of "May Day"

"What floor, please?" said the elevator man.
"Any floor," said Mr. In.
"Top floor," said Mr. Out.
"This is the top floor," said the elevator man.
"Have another floor put on," said Mr. Out.
"Higher," said Mr. In.
"Heaven," said Mr. Out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short Autobiography.

Finished Reading