Christina Bergling's Reviews > The Cabin at the End of the World

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

liked it

After Head Full of Ghosts, I could not wait to get my hands onto another Paul Tremblay novel. That being said, The Cabin at the End of the World disappointed me. Not because it is a flawed or inferior book but because it falls short of Head Full of Ghosts. The bar was high, so I can forgive it that.

The Cabin at the End of the World tells of a young girl and her two fathers on a family vacation at a cabin. Four strangers break into the cabin and take them hostage, saying they need to sacrifice one of their family to avoid the apocalypse. Both the home invasion and the apocalyptic zealots are staples in horror tropes. Yet Tremblay does bend and twist them into unexpected directions.

The novel alternates character perspectives, written in third person through the lens of different characters as well as a plural first person. I adore multiple perspectives in a story; however, the application seems somewhat haphazard. I could not always discern the point of switching perspectives; it did not always give me something more.

The ending is also disappointing. As a writer, I appreciate the brilliance of it. It is something I would (and have) done to my readers. Yet as the reader, I was left wanting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cabin at the End of the World.

August 18, 2019 – Started Reading