Sara's Reviews > The Bewildered Bride

The Bewildered Bride by Vanessa Riley

bookshelves: 2019, historical-romance

I really enjoyed this book. That doesn't seem like quite the right word to use, as parts of the plot are heartbreaking, but I truly liked this book. I found this portrayal of Black life in London during the Regency era fascinating--these are untold stories, and it's important to finally hear them. I haven't read many romances that deal with the issue of passing (Beverly Jenkins' Forbidden is a notable exception), and it was fascinating to see that explored in this era. My only problem with this book was the choice to switch between a first person narrator (the heroine) and a third person narrator (who spoke from the hero's perspective). This choice did not work for me at all. This was the first book I'd read by this author, and in spite of my complaint about the narration, now I am excited to go back and read her previous work.

I received an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley. All my opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bewildered Bride.

Finished Reading