Gabriela Pop's Reviews > Rules for Vanishing

Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall

I knew right about nothing about this book before diving right in, nor did I have any expectations from it, so I was set for the wildest ride of a reading experience and it ended up being one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in a long time. YA horror sparked from sisterhood is something that did fascinate me while reading the blurb, but I didn't know just how much I would end up loving this.
"Rules for vanishing" achieved what any good novel, especially horror should strive out to do - it unsettles the reader, it makes you live in a constant state of uneasiness and leaves you craving for more while waiting for all the threads to unravel. It is intoxicating and addicting and stressful like nothing else. It makes you question the characters and the story and the your perception of it all.
It is easy to begin rooting for the main character, Sara, from the beginning. She is so fragile and vulnerable and driven solely by the desire to save her sister and find out what happened to her. And her friends are driven by the desire to do right by Sara and help her get whatever closure she may. None of them expected the local legends and lore to be true and get them started on a wild, horrific adventure where survival becomes the main goal and everything they thought they'd ever known is tested.
What sets this apart from most media of the genre that I consumed is just how character driven it is despite how easily it would have been for the characters to get lost within this monster of a plot and the ominous setting. It is through the smallest, yet most fundamental of details that the author shapes who each of her characters is as well as how they function within the dynamics of the group. You become so engaged in these characters' journey that each time danger awaits you are left clutching your metaphorical pearls in terror.
The format of the book also was a pleasant surprised. The traditional confessional style narrative is embellished by things such as text messages, video transcripts and much, much more. This adds such a nice texture to the book and makes the reading experience so much more exciting and unique.
Cannot tell you how much I have loved this book and I shall avoid saying much else in order to avoid possible spoilers, as I do believe it is best to go into this knowing as little as possible. WILL NOT STOP RECOMMENDING THIS ONCE IT IS OUT AND THE SPOOKY SEASON IS UPON US!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules for Vanishing.

August 18, 2019 – Started Reading