Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Big Lies in a Small Town

Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain

bookshelves: 2020, arc, best-2020, netgalley, publisher, small-town, traveling-sister-reads

4.5 Fangs

Quite a great story this one was!

Big Lies in a Small Town has the voices of two women, Ana Dale and Morgan Christopher. One's past and one's present connected in the most unusual way.

Morgan Christopher has had a rough time. She is only twenty-two but she has already known tragedy. She has a problem with alcohol and she was involved in a car accident. She not only lost faith in her boyfriend Greg that night, but she also lost her freedom. She has been in prison serving her sentence in Raleigh, NC until she's offered a deal of a lifetime. In his will, a famous artist, Jesse Jameson Williams, has requested for her to restore a post office mural done by a female artist in the 1940s. A new lawyer will work on her release if she accepts the job.

In the 1940s, Ana Dale has won a national mural painting in the town of Edenton, NC. As an artist, recently out of school, she’s excited to have won the competition and she can’t wait to begin painting it. Her mother recently committed suicide and a change in venue is something Ana welcomes. What Anna was not expecting is for the "movers and shakers" of Edenton to have their own opinions about what she should draw, or for a local artist to be jealous of her winning the competition instead of him or for racism to be so prevalent around her and her mural.

Little by little as the story progresses, we learn more about these two women’s lives in different timelines. Their voices were powerful and demanding of the reader's attention.

Diana Chamberlain is a master at threading an interesting story and transporting us to the past and making us live the moment in time.

4.5/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by ST. Martin's Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Lies in a Small Town.

August 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 28, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 28, 2020 – Shelved as: publisher
January 28, 2020 – Shelved as: small-town
January 28, 2020 – Shelved as: traveling-sister-reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Terrific review Sheyla! So glad you enjoyed this too! 💙

Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!! Wonderful review, Sheyla! I hope to get to this one soon!

Sheyla ✎ Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Terrific review Sheyla! So glad you enjoyed this too! 💙"
Thank you, Lindsay!

Sheyla ✎ Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!! wrote: "Wonderful review, Sheyla! I hope to get to this one soon!"
I hope you get to it soon, Norma. I thought for sure I was the last one form the sisters to read it. I'm so behind in my reviews ...

message 5: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Sheyla!

marilyn Wonderful review Sheyla! Glad you enjoyed the story, too!

message 7: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Sheyla!

Sheyla ✎ Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Sheyla!"

Sheyla ✎ marilyn wrote: "Wonderful review Sheyla! Glad you enjoyed the story, too!"
Thank you, Marilyn.

Sheyla ✎ Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Sheyla!"
Thank you, Meredith.