Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Mother Knows Best

Mother Knows Best by Kira Peikoff

I received an ARC for this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Wow. This is a very different book, one that combines a fast-paced thriller with sci-fi. I really enjoyed the first couple of parts of this, the flashbacks between Claire's past and Abby present trying to figure out what's going on. I loved seeing how it unfolded and everything slowly get explained to a certain extent.

What didn't work for me was Jillian's character, the random things that were revealed that really had nothing to do with anything and felt like big shocks just for shock value, and the overall twistiness of the ending. Jillian's character felt comically bad. I couldn't believe her and I rolled my eyes. In a way, it felt like (not for the first time), psychosis was being combined with psychopathy. Which doesn't happen and frustrates me. Then, the way the last 20-30% went just was too much. I couldn't suspend my disbelief with it.

Overall, I think this is going to be a really popular thriller, but it fell flat for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mother Knows Best.

August 18, 2019 – Started Reading
August 18, 2019 – Shelved
August 18, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
August 18, 2019 – Shelved as: from-publisher-or-author
August 18, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-horror-thriller
August 18, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
August 18, 2019 –
64.0% "I just started shouting "OH NO" because I realized, too late, what was going to happen."
August 18, 2019 –
93.0% "This is turning into a real cluster fuck of confusion."
August 19, 2019 – Finished Reading