Gina Bégin's Reviews > Those Who Wander: America's Lost Street Kids

Those Who Wander by Vivian Ho

A lot of the reviews say it doesn't dive deep enough into the murders that the three main subjects committed. But that's not the point of this book. This book aims to understand how the culture of street kids was created and is maintained, what the foundation of many of these kids is based on, and their perspectives on living -- which is just that -- living, rather than thriving. It's not a book on murder. It's not a study on the murder cases. It's not even necessarily about the three murderers who committed the crimes as the center of this book. It's about understanding (and after reading this book, it's given me more of that for this demographic).

Others have said it leaves no answers. "And then what?" This isn't a textbook. The answers aren't supposed to be handed to us in everything we read. Some books are meant to open our eyes and see things differently or discover something entirely new, and do with that what we will. Maybe it will spark action in someone who will find the answers. Maybe it will just show us another side to our perspectives.

This book is well-written and shows humanity where it is often overlooked.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Who Wander.

August 17, 2019 – Started Reading
August 17, 2019 – Shelved
page 19
page 33
page 33
15.0% "I'm enjoying her style so far."
August 18, 2019 –