Emme Huffman's Reviews > It's a Whole Spiel

It's a Whole Spiel by Katherine  Locke

Forward, Mayim Bialik: This sets up the rest of the collection well.

Indoor Kids, Alex London: This was so sweet, and every element of the story worked well together. I loved the romance and the relationship with the campers. 5/5

Two Truths and an Oy, Dahlia Adler: This story looks at what happens to faith when someone leaves home and the tension between fitting in and living your beliefs. The main character was awkward and charming, and I loved this! 5/5

The Hold, David Levithan: This was a beautiful story about young love and defining faith. "To be loved by God is to be loved for who you are." 5/5

Aftershocks, Rachel Lynn Solomon: The MC has OCD/anxiety/panic attacks, and she struggles with not feeling Jewish enough, especially when she has dinner with her Jewish boyfriend and his family. 4.5/5

Good Shabbos, Goldy Moldavsky: Kayla and S.T. came across as petulant, a bit much, even for teenagers. I can't really tell if they learn anything from their misadventures and grow up at all. 2.5/5

Jewbacca, Lance Rubin: The MC tries to pretend that he's "more Jewish than he is" and struggles with feeling fake. He is loveably awkward. 5/5

EL AL 328, Dana Schwartz: Seemingly every page was basically "woe is me, I'm a virgin" and/or "woe is me, I have no friends." 2/5

Some Days You're the Sidekick, Some Days You're the Superhero: The MC's sibling uses they/them pronouns. The MC struggles with the pressure to do things that would get him into college. The portrayal of fandom, including the acknowledgment of the MC's privilege in online fandom spaces. I love the forgiveness of the story. 5/5

He Who Revives the Dead, Elie Lichtschein: The MC almost died by drowning, and she plans to confront her fears on her birthright trip. The solidarity and support that other characters show her made me so happy. Also, two of the guys on the trip argue about Israel and Palestine, and while I don't know as much about that as I definitely should, I was glad to see that addressed. 5/5

Be Brave and All, Laura Silverman: The MC is invited to ditch a JZY gathering to go to a rally protesting a bill that would allow more access to guns. Her interactions with "Ukelele Guy" made me very happy. 5/5

Neilah, Hannah Moskowitz: The MC grew up not participating in Jewish tradition and was criticized by her ex for not being Jewish enough and for taking up space. She begins to learn to love herself for who she is. 5/5

Find the River, Matthue Roth: It might just be a me problem, but the story had a lot of teenage boys being stereotypically teenage boys, which did not cause me to engage. 3/5

Ajshara, Adi Alsaid: The MC can see ghosts, and I was not especially interested. I think this would've been more interesting if it could've been fleshed out as a novel. 3/5

Twelve Frames, Nova Ren Suma: This was a sweet story about identity and starting over. 4/5

My average rating for the stories was ~4.25/5. I would recommend this anthology.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's a Whole Spiel.

Started Reading