Julia's Reviews > Who Says You're Dead? Medical & Ethical Dilemmas for the Curious & Concerned

Who Says You're Dead? Medical & Ethical Dilemmas for the Curi... by Jacob M. Appel

liked it

A blood test in preparation for a kidney donation reveals that the daughter donating the organ is not her father's biological daughter. Should she be informed? How about the father? This and dozens of other ethical dilemmas in medicine are presented by Dr. Appel in his latest book. Each chapter opens with a possible scenario, many – if not most – of which appear to be based on a real case, and we are asked, "What should they do?" He then offers several possibilities, and includes historical context and precedence, if available.

While I found the subject matter interesting, and it definitely offers food for thought about situations I've never had reason to consider previously, it was frustrating (though not necessarily surprising) that there often is no single "correct" ethical choice, just a great deal of grey area. Not the book's fault, but still.

I received this ARC via LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Says You're Dead? Medical & Ethical Dilemmas for the Curious & Concerned.

August 16, 2019 – Started Reading