Jaki's Reviews > Fallout: Recovering from Abuse in Tibetan Buddhism

Fallout by Tahlia Newland

U 50x66

Fallout has been to me an unexpected gift of clarity and compassion. As a survivor of spiritual abuse in Tibetan Buddhism myself, I want to deeply thank Tahlia Newland for making this work available to everyone. It's based on the Rigpa experience but it applies to all Tibetan Buddhism. To me it's more than a book, it's a manual for recovering from this kind of trauma, which is greatly worsened by the response of some Buddhist institutions (FPMT in my case) which, when faced with complaints about their lama's misconduct, choose to step over an already badly hurt individual in order to harm his or her credibility and in this way protect the institution and the lama's reputation, which is the source of income for their global business. If you've been in a cult, or have been a victim of spiritual abuse and institutional betrayal, reading Fallout could literally be even better than going to a psychologist, because it will go straight to the point, it will take you step by step through a process of recognizing what you've been through, in order to deal with it. I've read a section thoroughly every evening, reviewing myself and my own experiences, finally putting into context what happened to me after more that 10 years of painful and forced "letting go". It was hard work reviving all this again, and realising how this molestation (by a lama called Dagri "rinpoche") and the subsequent slander and isolation when I spoke up destroyed my life at that time. I lost everything. Even though I've built a new life for myself, this book allowed me to look back without the feeling of being alone, blamed or misunderstood. Finally all this makes sense and I can put a name on all the past experiences and situations! I can now freely say without any regret "this indeed happened, and it was not my fault, I was right to speak up, and it's ok not to forgive".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallout.

Finished Reading