Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Hound of Justice

The Hound of Justice by Claire  O'Dell

1. A Study in Honor - 4/5

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

I didn't love the first book. The plot waned and I wasn't a huge fan of the author writing about black women when she's a white woman. Not that it can't be done and done well because I've read books by authors not writing in their same gender, race/ethnicity, or sexual orientation and did it amazingly. But this one felt like it. And while those things lagged, I did love the characters and the world was interesting and it had really good mental health rep.

It just felt like this one didn't change much from the first to the second book. It didn't grow any. The plot still was indecipherable for most of the book and when it got to the actual plot of it all, I was so confused. I lost interest. It didn't work for me, much like the first one didn't work. I still hate Sara's employment, really. It's never been properly explained in either book.

In the end, this fell short. If there are more books coming in this series, I won't check them out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of Justice.

August 15, 2019 – Started Reading
August 15, 2019 – Shelved as: sherlock
August 15, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqqiaap
August 15, 2019 –
page 202
62.54% "I read this much in one sitting."
August 16, 2019 –
page 323
100.0% "It was... Meh? RTC!"
August 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) honestly this is a shorter and yet more articulate way of saying what I felt about this. I feel like this... leaned hard into being literature About black culture, rather than literature Featuring black people, which is fine, just... not really something I feel like is a nonblack author's position to write?

Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) Yeah, I can definitely see what you mean. This one just didn't work for me and it wasn't that great. Sadly.