Angel Hench's Reviews > The Sun Down Motel

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

Do you ever feel like you've lost your capacity to be scared? I feel like this would scare the average person on a consistent per chapter basis. Me? I got shivers once or twice. If you've read this, did it scare you?

HERE'S THE SUMMARY: There are restless ghosts at The Sun Down Motel. In 1982, Viv sees them all and it prompts her to investigate their deaths. In 2017, Carly comes to the motel to look into her aunt's disappearance 35 years earlier. Who's her aunt? Viv!

HERE'S THE REVIEW: There are so many scary things in this book - ghosts of children, ghosts of murder victims, missing women, murdered women, vengeful spirits, possible serial killers and a murder mystery or two. (The thing that got me was the opening and closing of all the motel room doors by NO ONE.) And just as in The Broken Girls, St. James writes in a couple of timelines which really helps build the delicious tension.

The absolute only complaint I have is that sometimes I had a difficult time remembering what thing had happened to which girl (Viv or Carly) because they were very similar characters... But that may have been intentional?

Just imagine working the overnight shift all by yourself at a rundown, isolated motel. Now imagine footsteps and the smell of smoke when no one is in the office with you. If that scares you, this will too!

(A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.)

Click here to check out all my book things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Down Motel.

August 15, 2019 – Shelved