Caidyn (he/him/his)'s Reviews > Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door

Bind, Torture, Kill by Roy Wenzl

bookshelves: nonfiction, true-crime

I think the reason why this was so interesting for me was that this is a local case that I don't really know too much about. Sure, I know BTK and his legacy, but I didn't know the specifics of the case. I'm really glad that I picked this book up because it was written by people who lived in the area when everything was going on, from the original killings to his capture decades later.

There are two main things that stand out to me in this book. First, that Dennis Rader really was an idiot. You could hypothesize that he was putting on the grammatical and spelling errors to throw people off, but, when it comes down to it, he was very dumb. It's kind of like if we could meet the Zodiac and see just how stupid he was. Rader is a guy who you'd hear start talking, visibly wince because you realize he's going to be the bane of your existence, and try to leave immediately.

The second thing that stands out is that the people who solved this case are amazing. I loved how this book focused on them rather than fed into Rader's need to be recognized. He was a big part of the story, obviously, but it was tailored so it was the detectives and other people who worked day and night to apprehend him stood out. It was refreshing to get to know the detectives as much as this book lets you because of the rapport the authors had with them.

Just a really solid true crime book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bind, Torture, Kill.

August 15, 2019 – Started Reading