Andrea Homier's Reviews > The Troubled Man

Mar 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: personal-electronic-library
Read in March, 2012

This is the first time I've read Henning Mankell. Apparently this is the last in his Wallander series (although I am wondering if the spirit of Wallander will live on in a series about his policewoman daughter). I enjoyed Mankell's detailed writing style and the depth of character development. There was much going on besides the mystery plot, and I appreciate that, even if some of it seems extraneous.

The events of the novel take place during present day, but are the long-coming results of actions taken place years ago, in the first years of the Cold War. That this book is by a Swedish author from the perspective of Swedish citizens and military officers makes the book even more intriguing and provides ample food for thought about both the superpower and non-superpower players duing the Cold War.

The title of the book plays on the reader; not until the end does one really understand just who the troubled man really is, and I suppose, that could be open to interpretation. Overall, The Troubled Man is a bleak book, with little hope allowed to shine through the darkness. Troubling itself, I found it quite realistic in its depiction of loneliness, fear of old age and dying, the ravages of disease, and betrayal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

07/24/2017 marked as: read

Anna Try some of his earlier books if you find them - I started with The Dogs of Riga, and that one was amazing. In that one he met Baiba... I'd read the series more or less in order until the middle, now this book (to give it later to my mother-in-law). While the writing was good, it was nowhere as enjoyable as in the early books of the series.