Stevie Carroll's Reviews > American Fairytale

American Fairytale by Adriana  Herrera

bookshelves: reviewed-elsewhere

Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

I adored the first book in this series about three friends from different immigrant backgrounds who grew up together in New York and are now finding their individual ways to career success and relationships that will last. This time, we return to New York City to catch up with the second of the trio, Camilo Santiago Briggs, a Cuban-American social worker with a Jamaican father and a determination to fight for those who’ve had fewer chances in life than he has. When Milo and his best friend are gifted tickets to a swanky charity event, he doesn’t expect to hook up with one of the top donors, and is even more surprised when the man in question shows up at his work as the major benefactor behind his new project.

Thomas Hughes is a light-skinned Dominican, who wants to renovate some of the city’s shelters for women escaping abusive relationships in memory of his aunt, who was killed by her partner. Having made his fortune from a business he and his university friends set up to facilitate money transfers for other migrants, he’s now enjoying a spell of semi-retirement in order to bring up his daughter. He split up from her other daddy around the time she was born and they now share custody in a mostly amicable fashion. Tom is pleased to have a chance to get to know Milo better, although they initially try to keep things on a purely business footing. Soon, though, they’re meeting each other’s families and spending a lot of time together outside work, even though Milo is wary of Tom’s generosity, seeing it as an attempt to buy his favours and to control him.

Tom just wants to do the best by everyone, and can’t understand that spending money he can easily manage without on expensive gifts for Milo and his mother might be seen as anything other than wanting to treat them. His previous relationship fell apart because he was too absorbed in his work, and he’s determined that won’t happen again. When Milo finally snaps over one expensive outing too many, Tom has to figure out a way to show that he cares: one that’s all about giving away something more precious than money.

I was very taken with Tom’s plan to win Milo back, although I’d have liked to have seen more of the adventures he had in the process of carrying it out. I felt that Milo was a little too suspicious of Tom’s earlier attempts to woo him, even as I sympathised with the formative experiences that had led to his attitude. It was good to see both their families being supportive and to catch glimpses of the other two pairs that are central to this series. This book wasn’t quite as enchanting as the previous one, but I’m certainly looking forward to the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Fairytale.

Started Reading