Monet Carpenter's Reviews > Friend-ish: Reclaiming Real Friendship in a Culture of Confusion

Friend-ish by Kelly Needham

U 50x66

"Our first step to cultivating healthy friendships with people is cultivating a friendship with God... without [ it ], we have no hope of rightly befriending one another.”

Kelly Needham jumps right in to reordering everything we ever thought, consciously or not, we knew about healthy friendships. Contrary to today’s culture, Needham expresses the importance of properly posturing God as head over all relationships, thus fulfilling those desires of belonging, comfort, and need, that we may wrongly place on our friends to satisfy us.

No stone is left unturned as Needham boldly addresses today’s world of friendships in light of the gospel. From diving in to concepts like: how we deal with friends whose life circumstances have changed, and thus forever change the dynamics of our friendship, to the “You’re my person” mentality of Grey’s’ Meredith and Cristina. Furthermore, she tackles the topic of same sex attraction in friendship with a balanced perspective of humility and grace as she lays out the facts of sin that separate us from God, while providing a restorative hope and solution through Christ.

Personally, this book has helped me to view my friendships as good gifts, but not the source of my joy, worth, and belonging. Being challenged to seek the only Source that can completely sustain and fulfill my needs has helped me to see how I can be a friend that gives out of that secure place, rather than being a friend who is a selfish consumer of friendship.

I would undoubtedly recommend this book to any person who has experienced the painful loss of a friendship, is questioning if and how to end an unhealthy friendship, or desires to be a friend that gives freely out of God’s graces instead of falling into the consumerism and neediness trap that often accompanies today’s friendships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friend-ish.

Finished Reading