Anna Theurer (Anna's Bookshelf)'s Reviews > The Second Shot

The Second Shot by Bethany Maines

4.5 stars The Second Shot is an entertaining romantic suspense with an intriguing plot and a great cast of characters. For me, I found that the book wasn't just about the mystery and suspense of who was targeting the Deveraux family, but also the interesting dynamic between the various family members. They each presented with strikingly unique personalities complete with various strengths and faults which lended to some rather humorous interactions between them. Still, one can't deny the family loyalty! While there is some action and suspense, there is surprisingly a fair amount of humor and sarcasm which I absolutely loved as it kept me chuckling throughout the book.

As for Dominique, I loved her strength and stubbornness. She thinks nothing of jumping right into the foray and of course Max tries to reign her in (or perhaps it's more appropriate to say supervise her since she has that independent streak?) before she gets into too much trouble. Dominique is a breath of the air and not the stereotypical socialite, but rather a headstrong woman who is somewhat underestimated by her family. Max is a great hero who didn't exactly make the best impression when he approached Dominique at a college party years ago. However, that attraction he feels towards her is just was strong as ever and he has a bit of protective streak without being overbearing. The two of them work well together and make a great couple. I cannot review this book without mentioning the secondary characters as the matriarch, the cousins, and Dominque's brother all fall somewhere between eccentric, quirky, funny, and are all wildly entertaining.

The Second Shot is told from various POVs which I think was a great way to illustrate how the story unravels. It did take me a bit to initially get into the book, but once I did, I couldn't put it down! I am definitely looking forward to more books by this author.

I received an early complimentary version of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Shot.

August 13, 2019 – Shelved