Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > Homesick: Stories

Homesick by Nino Cipri

32067918

bookshelves: edelweiss

Read an eARC I received from Edelweiss

Each story in this collection does an exquisite job conveying the multi-faceted concept of homesickness. Perhaps you're home sick for your literal place of being, or for a time of great triumph, or a past relationship, or it's the person you wish your parents in a different timeline knew you as.

My personal favorites were "the shape of my name," "presque vu", and "Which Super Little Dead Girl Are You?". The voice in these was so strong, telling tales with a full cast of characters, but keeping the focus taught is such a feat. In addition, before picking up this collection, I had never seen a magazine-style quiz used as a vehicle to talk about archetypes of dead girls. The time travel aspect and the second-person (wow, I'm really opening up to this POV, aren't I?) makes the heartache so much more tangible and evocative. With "presque vu," it starts with a straight forward relationship problem but then the narrative delves deeper in the horrors and hauntings around Clay and his roommates. I found it enthralling and read it a few times.

This collection has a little bit of everything: humor, tenderness, sadness, and, most importantly, the little bit of longing for a different time or a different place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homesick.

August 13, 2019 – Shelved
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 19, 2019 – Started Reading
September 19, 2019 – Shelved as: edelweiss
September 19, 2019 –
45.0% "The way Cipri plays with formats and perspectives strikes so much awe and really tugs at the heart strings in unexpected ways"
September 23, 2019 –
62.0% "I love love LOVED "presque vu""
September 30, 2019 – Finished Reading