Andrea Stoeckel's Reviews > The Epics Collection: Two Visionary Epic Poems in the Style of Dante, Shakespeare, and Homer

The Epics Collection by Abdiel LeRoy

[Both of these reviews can also be found under Obama’s Dream and Elijah’s separate posts]

Obama’s Dream
So spring the fruits of Heaven's vine, its seed Sown in one heart by angels in a dream, A politician with a poet's creed, A partnership that may the world redeem.”

This was a fantastic “journey” that is set in the White House while Mr. Obama is dealing with how things are/aren’t going. A President’s own ethical stances/agenda can often be usurped by politics and politicians. This is what we see as Abdiel takes him on a journey that reminds him of the hope one man can represent.

I am a retired minister who is ordained by the same denomination Barack Obama claimed in Chicago. I know some of the people who were influential in his faith upbringing. Being retired means I’m not as “fluent” in Bible as I used to be. “Obama’s Dream”had me reading with a Bible app open to check and cross reference LeRoy’s citations along with a modern version of “Paradise Lost”. I adore challenges, and this was one. Warning: it is poetry, but accessible poetry. I highly recommend this book. 5/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elijah
“For what can armour, helmet, sword, or shield/In that arena do where prophets wield/Their power, and works of angels are unsealed?/This is a battle of another field!”

“Elijah”has been captivating people for as long as the story endures. I’ve taught Elijah in Sunday School, sang Mendelssohn’s Oratorio “Elijah”, delved into it more times than I’ve cared to count in Church history and sermon preparation. However, Abdiel LeRoy looks at the whole story in an unorthodox way: he wrote an epic poem full of innovative ideas...the “what if’s”..

Taking great care with the story of Elijah, this author takes on the text, weaving romance, time shifting and dragons into a story known to most traditions who hold the Bible as sacred text. His original spin is approachable by those not familiar with the “record” or epic poetry as a whole. I highly suggest having a bible text nearby for cross-reference and just sit back and enjoy! Highly recommended 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Epics Collection.

August 12, 2019 – Started Reading