Stacey Walter's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Mar 13, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Delirium is one of those books that take you places you didn't even know you could reach. The kind of emotions Lauren Oliver draws out of you as you read her perfectly strung sentences filled with descriptions so heart wrenching and beautiful.

This is a world you never want to live in but you can't help but keep reading because it sucks you in, completely.

Lena is such a rounded character and her feelings and thoughts and struggles are so realistic, you can't help but connect with her and feel everything she does as she navigates her way through the discovery that everything she ever thought was real, was fact, is a lie.

Beautifully written and superbly told. This is a story everyone should read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Stacey Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”

Lauren Oliver
“It's so strange how life works: You want something and you wait and wait and feel like it's taking forever to come. Then it happens and it's over and all you want to do is curl back up in that moment before things changed.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”

Lauren Oliver
“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes".”

Lauren Oliver
“The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and
when you don’t.”

Lauren Oliver
“Hate isn’t the most dangerous thing, he’d said. Indifference is.”

Lauren Oliver
“I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.”

Lauren Oliver
“I know that the whole point—the only point—is to
find the things that matter, and hold on to them, and fight for them, and refuse to
let them go.”

Lauren Oliver
“It's like a razor blade edging its way through my organs, shredding me, all I can think is: It will kill me, it will kill me, it will kill me. And I don't care.”

Lauren Oliver
“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”

Lauren Oliver
“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

Lauren Oliver
“Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I found me a werewolf, a nasty old mutt
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my gut.

Mama, Mama, help me get home
I'm out in the woods, I am out on my own.
I was stopped by a vampire, a rotting old wreck
It showed me its teeth and went straight for my neck.

Mama, Mama, put me to bed
I won't make it home, I'm already half-dead.
I met an Invalid, and fell for his art
He showed me his smile, and went straight for my heart.

-From "A Child's Walk Home," Nursery Rhymes and Folk Tales”

Lauren Oliver
“It's amazing how words can do that, just shred your insides apart. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me - such bullshit.”

05/04/2012