Bradley's Reviews > The Dragon Republic

The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang

bookshelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy

Few sequels can demand as much love as this one can.

I mean, Poppy War was all kinds of fantastic, leading us up a fairly well-worn path only to rip the rug out from under us and get BRUTAL. But this one takes that brutality and cranks it up a notch or two, showing us that all consequences can meet their match with idealism, honor, and hope.

Not that there is much idealism, honor, or hope for Rin. But she can follow it. Lend her fiery arm to the cause. Even lose big, maybe even lose bigger, and still keep killing in the name.

I'm just going to come right out and say it. I love this book. I think I like it a lot more than the one before it. It's more heartbreaking, higher stakes, more desperate, and the full war and the hope of something great rises to one hell of a fever pitch.

So what if you have to kill a few gods. So what if the populace starves. So what if allies betray or are betrayed. The end is all that matters.

But that end? .... speechless. Brilliant.

And now I'm completely hooked for the next. Burn bright, Rin! Burn sooooo bright!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Republic.

August 12, 2019 – Shelved
August 12, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 5, 2019 – Started Reading
September 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-shelf
September 6, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie It's currently sitting on my bookshelf. I loved the first one, I should really get to it!

Bradley The consequences are FULLY explored. :) So good. :)

message 3: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie Bradley wrote: "The consequences are FULLY explored. :) So good. :)"

Great, the ending of the first one blew me away. I'm so glad Kuang has the gall to actually go there.

Bradley Same here! :) And the same for this one. :)

message 5: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie Thank you again for your reviews, Bradley. Even if we sometimes are not of the same opinion on common books, you've become somewhat of a "marking stone" reviewer for me : I trust your opinion and your enthusiasm for things worthy of it :)