Rina's Reviews > El Rey: A Novel of Renaissance Iberia

El Rey by Ginger Myrick

Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: 1500s, adventure, ebook, favorites, grief, historical-fiction, romance

I really, really enjoyed this story. Loved the characters, loved the plot twists and turns, loved the formatting of the e-book, loved getting a glimpse of 16th century Spain. Several months ago I won a copy from the author and since it’s a long story I waited until I had an e-reader to read it on. I shouldn’t have waited, it’s a great book. (Though my eyes are probably grateful I didn’t read it on a computer screen…)

This was definitely a book I could not read in one sitting, which was very enjoyable as I got to spend several days with Inez and rejoice with her and sink with her to the depths of despair (to borrow Anne Shirley’s phrase). Rarely does a book cover the entire life of a character, but this one does and it was wonderful.

Some might complain about the length of the story or get lost amongst the many characters, but I think Ginger did an excellent job relating Inez’s story and tying in the life lessons of the people around her. Most of the characters are well written and as I write this a month or two after finishing the book I’m finding myself replaying various scenes and seeing the characters that appear in them.

One lesson that the reader can come away with is to speak up, don’t let your stubborn, foolish pride stand in the way. You never know how irreversible and miserable a situation may become if you don’t. Especially when it’s about matters of the heart. Inez learned this the very hard way, but managed to overcome and carry on.

Regarding the e-book formatting, at the end of each chapter is a little image of a rabbit which was quite fun to see. There is an index as well.

Thank you so much Ginger for allowing me to read and review your book! I loved it!

Complete review published on my blog: http://rinasreading.blogspot.com/2012... (live on 9/27/12)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read El Rey.