Susan Ballard's Reviews > Our New Normal

Our New Normal by Colleen Faulkner

Read 2 times. Last read 2019.

Our New Normal
By Colleen Faulkner
4.5 / 5 ⭐

What was the last book you read where your heart actually hurt for a character? Where you felt your chest tighten and your throat close with emotion? ᴏᴜʀ ɴᴇᴡ ɴᴏʀᴍᴀʟ is that book for me. Colleen Faulkner did such an amazing job at capturing the voice of a wife and mother that at times I felt like she was inside my head. Before the younger crowd assumes this book isn’t for them - Faulkner also takes on the perspective of a pregnant 16-year-old.

Liv Ridgely has been a stay-at-home mom raising her two kids for the last 16 years. Her husband works long hours, and her parents now need extra help as her dad is suffering from dementia. Liv is excited about the new changes coming into her life. Her son is heading off to college, and she is starting up her own business. Liv finally feels like she may find herself again after years of giving so much of herself away to others.

A positive pregnancy test changes everything for Liv. It’s not Liv who is pregnant. It’s Hazel, her 16-year-old daughter. The pregnancy sends the family into turmoil as no one seems to be on the same page. Everyone has an opinion, and it begins to cause division. Especially between Liv and her husband.

The chapters volley back and forth between Liv and Hazel’s narration. The strain and distance that comes between Liv and her husband are palpable. Liv tries to mother her daughter who is going to be a mother herself, but Hazel is definitely not ready for this responsibility. From Hazel’s side, she thinks she’s got it all under control, she thinks she's in love, and yet, she’s not ready to grow up quite so fast.

At times I was so frustrated, it seemed like the person giving the most was seen as the most selfish. This book embodied the drama that a teenage pregnancy brings upon a family. It could be said that this book should be required reading for parents and their teenagers.

As a wife and mother, I empathized with Liv. But Faulkner did such a great job with both roles that I found myself being transported back to my 16-year-old self at times.

Thank you to @netgalley and @kensingtonbooks for this ARC
Publish Date: 8/27/19

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our New Normal.

Started Reading
2019 – Finished Reading
August 9, 2019 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 9, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 9, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
August 9, 2019 – Shelved as: books-on-kindle (Kindle Edition)
August 9, 2019 – Shelved as: books-i-own (Kindle Edition)
August 12, 2019 – Shelved
August 12, 2019 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)