Kristen Burns's Reviews > Evolved

Evolved by N.R. Walker

4 Stars

Review:
This book was a random find that I stumbled upon while looking for more audiobooks by this narrator, and it was a great book!

I really liked and felt for the main character, Lloyd. It was interesting to have this look into a character who, from the outside, was someone who might have been somewhat unlikable or hard to understand just because he was so serious and a little standoffish, but that was mostly just because he had OCD and misophonia and had a hard time dealing with most other people, not to mention how much he was constantly judged by them.

But I wasn't broken. I didn't need to be fixed. I needed to be understood. And that was a difference no one would fathom. I didn't want to be like them. I didn't want their definition of normal. I wanted them to see the real me and be ok with it.

I also thought the relationship was really cute. It was a manufactured relationship---a man purchased an android that was literally created to be perfect for him---but Lloyd's sincerity and awkwardness and genuine emotions of joy, relief, and attraction were so endearing that I was totally here for it and shipping them. There was A LOT of sex, but you gotta know what you're getting when you pick up a book about a sex robot. The romance was surprisingly sweet though.

There was also a plot about Shaun being different from the typical android and some drama with the company who made him, but the focus of the story was mostly on the romance and Shaun's self-actualization.

Of course there was also the android aspect. I thought the laws in regards to androids were believable and realistic. This wasn't one of those books that debates whether androids should have the same rights as humans because the androids weren't sentient (aside from Shaun), but there were still laws against hurting them or having non-consensual sex with them. I also thought the term technosexual was interesting since that probably will be a thing in the future when androids and robots become more prevalent.

I also enjoyed the narration by Joel Leslie, since, as I said, he is a narrator I like.

Overall, I really enjoyed this audiobook, and I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a sweet and sexy m/m sci-fi romance!

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes m/m romance, android romance, a significant amount of sex, and sweet relationships.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolved.

August 5, 2019 – Started Reading