Kim's Reviews > In Black & White

In Black & White by Nia Forrester

bookshelves: my-2019-goodreads-reading-challenge, favorite-novels-set-in-philadelphia

Nia Forrester never fails to create realistic portrayals of love that I always find so beautifully written. She never disappoints. And this is definitely true in her latest, In Black & White.

Set in a leafy suburb of Philadelphia, we're immediate dropped into what is every parent's nightmare--the disappearance of a child. In this case, it's the disappearance of 18-month-old Samara, the daughter of interracial couple Noah and Dana. Samara's abduction and the subsequent fallout around it mark the beginning of a fascinating story that is in parts mystery and a thoroughly modern story of a love on the rocks.

Forrester is a master at crafting three-dimensional characters. Dana and Noah are no different. From the first chapter when we learn the status of their marriage, we are given a very realistic, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes frustrating portrayal of a couple who come from different worlds. Noah is the product of privileged, old Pennsylvania money. Dana is his polar opposite--raised in a working-class neighbourhood in Baltimore by her grandmother and her older sister, she has struggled to get used to the life of privilege being Noah's wife affords, especially since her skin color will always mark her as out of place in the world that Noah comes from. One of the aspects I loved about In Black & White is how Forrester deftly takes us through the couple's history and its relevance to their separation. These snippets of their shared past help the reader understand who Dana and Noah were when they first met and what attracted them to one another as well as what has driven them apart.

This is not a sugar-coated, fantasy-laden love story, so if that's what you're looking for, then this isn't going to be the book for you. But if you're in the mood for a very realistic look at a modern love and marriage, racial and socioeconomic differences (and how it can make or break a couple), and how the disappearance of a child can unveil secrets, then you're going to love In Black & White.

Highly recommended! 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Black & White.

August 7, 2019 – Started Reading