Micheline's Reviews > Bloodfever

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

liked it
bookshelves: kick-ass-female, magnetic-male, vampires-werewolves, urban-fantasy, angels-demons, adult, immortals
Recommended to Micheline by: Giselle

Rating Clarification: 3.75 stars

Note: I struggled with rating this book. I can't quite bring myself to give it a 4 star rating but for reasons I'll elaborate below, it deserves more than 3.5 stars; that's my rationalization for the annoyingly precise rating. >.<

What can I say about 'Bloodfever', the second book in the fever series? It's definitely an addictive read pretty much from start to finish. I am officially a fan of Mac's since she has become much fiercer and stronger. Even when she lapses into Barbie Mac from time to time I find her all the more endearing. There are so many more layers to her now; she's sharp tough as nails... and still evolving. I am anxious to see how she will transform as the series progresses, how she will come into her powers; what she will accomplish with that fire inside her head.

The suspense and curiosity factors in this series are staggering. It's like a complex labyrinth of endless questions. And when you finally get an answer the price is high. Your reward? MORE questions. Everyone knows some big chunks of the puzzle, everyone is desperately oblivious to other parts and NOBODY is revealing much of anything. To me, it made the plot seem stagnant at times...even with so much going on, the story didn't really progress the way I had hoped. Moning keeps building and adding things to the world, without making much headway in actually advancing the plot. On the one hand it enhances my curiosity...but on the other hand, I found it a bit of a let down.

Speaking of never getting any answers. Jericho Barrons. While parts of him infuriate me to no ends. Like the chauvinistic, egomaniac and control freak parts. On the other hand...he's so freaking sexy I can't even wrap my head around it. He's a mystery more than anything and I'm a sucker for a dark mysterious man. Always have been, and always will be. (view spoiler) I can not wait to unravel the mystification that is Jerricho Barrons. And I hope he takes off his clothes more. Throw V'lane in there too for good measure, cause that hour in Faery was something else! *fans self*

Bloodfever has a quick pace and showcases unforgettable characters in a complex and well put-together world that is unlike any I've ever visited in a book. While I felt the action did drag a bit, it made up for it in character development and intrigue which is why I rated it infinitesimally better than it's predecessor I would have gotten rid of the pointless recaps during the first few chapters for sure. I mean come on we've read book one, skip to the new stuff! But other than that it was a fun, fast paced, addictive and dead-sexy read. I can't wait to see where Moning will go with this in book 3, Faefever.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodfever.

March 12, 2012 – Shelved
March 14, 2012 –
page 158
45.27% "''Oh please'' I rolled my eyes. ''You're a leftie, Barrons.'' ''Touché, Ms. Lane'' he murmured."
March 15, 2012 –