Chana's Reviews > When Red Is Black

When Red Is Black by Qiu Xiaolong

Crime is sad, isn't it? Whether on a national scale or a personal scale, how tragic is murder.
A political dissident, or someone who might possibly be seen as such, is murdered. Sergeant Yu is in charge of the investigation as his boss, Inspector Chen, is on vacation and working on a translation of a big important building proposal that involves overseas funding. Chen ends up with "a little secretary" as part of the perks of doing the translating. Yu is helped with his investigation by his intelligent and hard working wife.
Several things were bothersome to me as a reader; the little secretary and all the little perks like a heating unit for Chen's apartment, made me nervous. The turtle that was given as a gift to Yu and his wife also bothered me. Something creepy about these gifts, everything had a price and it was going to come due sooner or later. This is stated quite clearly in the line, "What will come, eventually comes". The book is full of gorgeous poetry, some of the most beautiful I've ever heard, and meaningful Confucianisms. I loved that about it. But it left me with a sense of dread and a weariness that I can't quite explain.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Red Is Black.

August 10, 2019 – Started Reading