Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Don't Let Go

Don't Let Go by Skye Warren

Loved it, and I am thoroughly confused as to how that happened.

This is Carlos' book. The same Carlos to whom, at the end of the previous book, I wanted terrible things to happen. And I stand by that regarding the Carlos from the previous book- I still don't like him.
That said, the Carlos from this book is... humanized, somehow. He still won't be a book boyfriend of mine. I'd call the cops on him in a MINUTE if I were any of the females he'd come across in these books, but that's just me. If a man were to do to me what he has done to these poor women, Jesus... I'd devote my life to putting him in prison. Or killing him. One of the two, depending on how much of a mental breakdown his treatment had caused.
This dynamic of a sadist in a relationship is something I truly can't wrap my head around. I just don't get it. That said, as brutal as the interaction is when Samantha is kidnapped, there are other parts of the book that are hot.
I was so confused by this book. Flustered. And I couldn't put it down. Despite how much of a bastard Carlos is, (and he really is), the author gives a one-two punch of taming his monster a bit in this book, and also explaining his damage/hang ups. Still, the things he did to Mia in the previous book are inexcusable- truly horrific. That Carlos should burn in Hell. The Carlos from this book, while way past the point of simply cruel, is nowhere near as evil to Samantha as he was to Mia. And thank goodness, because a man doing those things to a woman couldn't possibly have an HEA with her. Also, I wouldn't WANT such a man to have an HEA.
Ok, let's be frank- I still hate Carlos. What he did to Mia in the previous book when she didn't swallow that first time? NO FORGIVENESS. EVER. And when he "treated her like a puppy" and let other men hurt her? When he brutally whipped her, splitting her skin open? Hurt her to the point she was bleeding out onto the ground? Carved his initial into her stomach? SCREW CARLOS.
Ok, I am calming myself. This was still a good read. He is far less brutal to Samantha, and equally important is the fact that Samantha likes how he treats her. She likes the pain (I would argue that is due to significant emotional and mental damage, but whatever). In contrast Mia tried to escape Carlos and his torture, but he had her dragged back and nearly killed her in retribution.
I am on the fence about whether I would re-read. And I wish there were an epilogue where Samantha would come to her senses, leave Carlos to pursue aggressive counseling, and Carlos, distraught, would either take his own life, or make a mistake and go to prison. Forever. Now there's an HEA.

Side note, I thought we might get some information about Trunk in this final book. After what he did to Mia in the previous book, and who he turned out to be... I thought we'd hear more about what happened after the fact. But we got nada. I would totally read Trunk's story!

Find me at:
Facebook: https://fb.me/amandamariereads
Blog: http://amandamariereads.blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Let Go.

August 9, 2019 – Started Reading