Kaylea Cross's Reviews > Sheltered

Sheltered by Charlotte Stein

Mar 12, 2012

Huge, huge five stars from me. One of the best books I've read in the past year.

What an amazing read this was! At first I thought the heroine being 19 would really bother me, but the story unfolds in such a tender and poignant way it worked extremely well. Ms. Stein has a truly unique, vivid voice, and I was hooked from the opening scene.

The sex scenes were so vividly and emotionally done I couldn't put the book down. The characters are so unique and three dimensional they all but leap off the pages. Normally I prefer having the hero's point of view in a story also, but the way Ms. Stein uses dialogue and description, I never felt like I was missing what Van was feeling/thinking throughout the story. Everything fit, everything worked. Fabulous writing! Her voice reminds me quite a bit of Cara McKenna, without the controversial subject matter.

This is the first book by Ms. Stein that I've read, but as soon as I post this review I'm heading straight to the Kindle store to buy more of her work. Such a talented story teller. Can't believe I hadn't heard of her before now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheltered.

Jill Great review, Kaylea. This sounds interesting.

Kaylea Cross Oh, it was so GOOD! I just went out and bought a whole bunch of her backlist :) The hero in this story is so tender and considerate with the heroine. *melts*

Jill Thanks Kaylea. I've downloaded it. The hero sounds delicious.

Searock Also downloaded it. Thanks Kaylea :)

Kaylea Cross I hope you guys like it! *no pressure, Kaylea*

It's so different from anything I've ever read. Reading it, I was transported back to my 19 year old self. Let me know what you think of the story.

message 6: by Jill (last edited Mar 14, 2012 03:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Thanks Kaylea, it was worth the read. It was simply beautiful. My only reason for not rating it 4.5 stars was the buying and smoking of pot. Though leaving that out, would have left a gaping hole in the story. Nevertheless, a really sweet romance.

Wendy Great review Kaylea! This sounds great.

Kaylea Cross Jill, I'm glad you liked it! The pot scene didn't bother me as much as I thought it might initially. Loved the romantic and sensual tension/growth between Van and Evie.

Thanks, Wendy! It's very tender and emotional. Very real feeling.

Jill Kaylea wrote: "Jill, I'm glad you liked it! The pot scene didn't bother me as much as I thought it might initially. Loved the romantic and sensual tension/growth between Van and Evie.

Thanks, Wendy! It's very t..."

This type of story is just what I adore. A sweet romance combined with hot sex scenes between a naive, innocent h and a rough, badboy with a sweet, inner core. And I loved that it was a slow build up to all the smexing. The sexual tension was glorious.

Thanks again, Kaylea!

Kaylea Cross Hey, anytime. If I find other great recommendations I'll pass them on. That blend of heat/tension with tenderness just gets me every time.

Kristen Wonderful review, Kaylea.

Kaylea Cross Thanks, Kirsten.

Kristen Kaylea wrote: "Thanks, Kirsten.

While I'm on my soapbox, I also loved Shaken, by Dee Tenorio, and Hearts in Darkness by Laura Kaye. Big five stars reads for me!"

Shaken is one of my favorite books. It had me in tears. I, too, loved Hearts in Darkness. Both books got 5 stars from me too.
Have you read Do Over? It's one of my all time favorites. Talk about a feel good short story. If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, give it a try some time. I think you'd love it.

Kaylea Cross Is that by Mari Carr? I can't remember if I've read it or not. I also loved Willing Victim, by Cara McKenna, but it pushed my comfort zone. Worth it though!

Kristen Yes, Do Over is by Mari Carr. I'm still trying to get courage to read Willing Victim. Lol. It's not like I haven't read that type of book before, but for some reason, it's makes me nervous to read. Everyone I trust loves the book, so I'm planning on reading it fairly soon.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Sounds very good, Kaylea! I'm sold!

Kaylea Cross Kristen, it is on the rough side, but it never crosses the line in terms of consent, and it suits the hero to a T. I admire the author for sticking to her guns and staying true to her characters.

Baba, you'll really love it!

Rebecca I'm adding this to my TBR pile solely based on this review. It sounds fantastic.

Kaylea Cross It's different from anything I've ever read, Rebecca. The author captured teenage angst within the context of a beautiful love story. I hope you enjoy it too!