Jennifer's Reviews > They Called Us Enemy

They Called Us Enemy by George Takei

bookshelves: ya-graphic-novels, ya-bio-memoir, memoir, adult-biography, adult-non-fiction

As somewhat of a Trekkie and a fan of Takei's long before it was trendy, I was really looking forward to reading about his experiences dealing with prejudice and racism, and being imprisoned in the internment camps during WWII. I was left with great admiration for his father, with his quiet leadership, service to his community, and being open and willing to talk about the internment.

My only critique is more along the lines of personal preference. I probably would have preferred to have read this as a regular memoir rather than graphic novel for two reasons; (1) I would have liked more detail, not only about the time during the internment, but about rebuilding afterward and the conversations Takei had with his father about it when he was older, and (2) I got serious eyestrain trying to read the tiny font. That is one reason I do not read many graphic novels, the size and style of the fonts typically used are very hard for me to read, and definitely makes graphic novels less accessible to older readers and others with vision issues.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Called Us Enemy.

August 8, 2019 – Started Reading