Elizabeth's Reviews > Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

2069203

bookshelves: fiction, beloved, southern-fiction
Recommended for: kari- b/c she loves her some serious reads.

It is so exciting when I read a book that I know will be with me forever. Salvage the Bones seemed at first to be in the same vein as Beans of Egypt, Maine, Bastard Out of Carolina, or The Book of Ruth. *Except* the overall effect is quite different. Instead of violence and desperation Jesmyn Ward gives us sweetness, beauty, and anticipation. Her writing is gorgeous (as one of the characters is racing through the woods his legs are described as looking like black ribbons) and the story is a timeless one: familial love and allegiance and impending doom/disaster (in this case, the days leading up to Hurricane Katrina). The way that Esch and her brothers love and nurture one another gives the reader a sense of optimism. And the use of Greek mythology to examine Esch's experiences and relationships is absolute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage the Bones.

March 12, 2012 – Started Reading
March 12, 2012 – Shelved
March 12, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
March 14, 2012 – Shelved as: beloved
March 14, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2018 – Shelved as: southern-fiction

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Priddy Well. Since I read and enjoyed all three novels you compare it to, I suppose I shall have to look for it.

Carrie I read Beans...it was horrific book that I likened to a bad car accident. You cant stop staring. That's this book as well. I am/was repulsed by both books but couldn't stop reading them!!!

Murf the Surf Enjoyed your review Elizabeth keep up the lilting loquaciousness....good writing!

Elizabeth Murray Winship (MURF) wrote: "Enjoyed your review Elizabeth keep up the lilting loquaciousness....good writing!"

Thank you, MURF- how very nice of you to comment! :)

Elizabeth Carrie wrote: "I read Beans...it was horrific book that I likened to a bad car accident. You cant stop staring. That's this book as well. I am/was repulsed by both books but couldn't stop reading them!!!"

I understand completely- again they shared that sense of urgency.
Must. Know. What. Happened. It is hard to read fast enough when that happens! I probably need to do a re-read soon. :)

Elizabeth Jan wrote: "Well. Since I read and enjoyed all three novels you compare it to, I suppose I shall have to look for it."

Hi, Jan- Just checked your shelves to see if you ended up reading this one. If you do I look forward to your review.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Priddy It's on my list, but has been shoved under a couple of times. ;-)

message 8: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary Zibart I thought Salvage the Bones was brilliant!!