Kristine Muslim's Reviews > City of the Dead

City of the Dead by Herbert Lieberman

Aug 05, 2008

This is the BEST book I have ever read. I have reread it more than 10 times since I was a teenager. Why? First, it does in one book what Patricia Cornwell, Susan Hill, and Dennis Lehane can do with all of their books combined. I have read hundreds of crime novels over the years. City of the Dead is the gold standard. There's nothing quite like it. Second, the story changes each time you reread it. Its urban setting breathes down your throat. The emotional undercurrents make you wince. It is intricate and ambitious. It is bleak and morbid. You "change" alongside the characters in the book. Third, this novel made me pick up everything by Lieberman. You might also want to try Crawlspace. Another one of his books, Nightbloom, is also quite good but not as powerful as City of the Dead. What comes close to Herbert Lieberman's artistic swagger is a Thomas Harris with the gritty sensationalist fervor of an Ira Levin. I am saddened by the lack of attention given to this book. There are also reviews on Amazon lamenting the same thing. It's a shame that this masterpiece is not widely celebrated by readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of the Dead.

10/10/2016 marked as: read

Jennifer So true!

Kristine Muslim :) I'll add you, Jennifer. And you also like Levin and Ramsey Campbell Haha! Kindred spirit.

Jayps Can you also add me? Hehe. City of the Dead is the first novel I read. I was not a reader then, but this turned me into one, especially to this kind of genre. In high school we had a book report in English. I was in National Bookstore, looking for something worth for the curriculum. I found myself in bargained books section. I saw this. First its title, I thought it was a zombie novel. Then its cover : a picture of Big Apple at night, with a shadowy mountain as backdrop. But as I looked closely, it wasn't a mountain--it is a girl's face, in side view, lying on its back, facing the sky. It enticed me more. I finished it and loved it. And now I'm happy knowing I'm not the only Filipino who appreciated this book.

Kristine Muslim Hey, JayPee Yu. Yes, I added you. Lieberman has many other books, all out of print. Your only chance of finding a copy is in a used books bin. Also, information abt Lieberman is scarce, which adds to the allure of his work. Nice meeting you!