Maria Andreu's Reviews > What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception

What Happened by Scott McClellan

Aug 05, 2008

it was ok

Forget how smug he was at press briefings. Forget how he was a puppet and mouthpiece for all the bad decisions of the Bush administration. For me, these are givens, like saying a croissant tastes nice or summer is pleasant.

McClellan doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know - not really - in spirit if not in detail.

But what really annoys me about this book is that an editor somewhere let it go out in such bad condition? I get the man's not a writer, but jeez. You'd figure a press secretary would know how to paint a picture instead of pontificate, justify and try to make himself look good where looking good is not really an option.

Bad, colorless, uninteresting writing. He wastes SO many opportunities to draw readers in and give us an experience of what it's like to be in that pressure-cooker environment. He is unoriginal, impressed with himself and intellectually dishonest.

I gave him two stars instead of one because there is a prurient sort of interest in reading what a former supporter now says about decisions of the Bush administration. But it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth, like the other team's ball boy swiping their playbook for you. You want to read it, but you want to think you're better than that too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

Finished Reading