Kerry's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

bookshelves: audiobook, fromthelibrary, chick_lit, romance, about-a-woman
Read 2 times. Last read August 17, 2008.

This my first Jane Austen.

Okay, I LOVED this book. I don't even know why. It's about . . . girls who like boys! Who are jerks! Um, the end! But it was funny. But clever funny, which is my favorite kind. And I enjoyed deciphering the late 18th century prose. It made me feel smart, just to figure out what she was saying half the time!

Also I love all the wacky British society stuff. Like sending notes! And walking places! And having breakfast at other peoples' houses! And I enjoyed figuring out the etiquette of the day. Like, it's improper to exchange letters with a member of the opposite sex with whom you are not engaged? Crazy! But it's cool to be engaged and not TELL anyone? Insane! I love it.

I didn't get a chance to return this to the library right away, so I'm currently audio-book free, and instead of listening to music like a normal person, I STARTED IT OVER AGAIN. Seriously, who would think I would like Jane Austen so much?

The narrator was Donada Peters. I've never heard of her before, but she did a great job. I don't think I'd've enjoyed it nearly as much had I actually had to READ the thing.

I am now going to listen to every Austen audiobook I can get my hands on, and also a biography. I'm reading Frank Herbert and Jane Austen at once! I love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

August 5, 2008 – Shelved
August 5, 2008 – Shelved as: audiobook
August 5, 2008 – Shelved as: fromthelibrary
Started Reading
August 17, 2008 – Finished Reading
August 20, 2008 – Shelved as: chick_lit
August 20, 2008 – Shelved as: romance
September 9, 2008 – Shelved as: about-a-woman
August 8, 2018 – Started Reading (Audible Audio Edition)
August 8, 2018 – Shelved (Audible Audio Edition)
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading (Audible Audio Edition)
August 20, 2018 – Shelved as: about-a-woman (Audible Audio Edition)
August 20, 2018 – Shelved as: audible (Audible Audio Edition)
August 20, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook (Audible Audio Edition)
August 20, 2018 – Shelved as: female-author (Audible Audio Edition)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Mom (new)

Mom Now how about Pride and Prejudice, which is my favorite and then watching the movie: the 1940 version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier, the recent version with Kiera Knightly and some cute guy or the TV mini-series with Colin Firth.
Mom

Ashley Librivox.org is a phenomenal site for audiobooks! It links directly to iTunes, and there's often several versions by different readers to suite your taste. Elizabeth Klett and Karen Savage are by far my two favorites! Happy reading! =)

Jess Haha, it made me feel smart being able to decipher her prose, too! XD

message 4: by K~ (new) - rated it 3 stars

K~ ~ This review is the main reason I chose to read this book.

Kerry Well, I'm glad you liked the review, but sorry you didn't like the book!

Bubbles Jackson Totally agree!!! Her books kind of transport us back to that time. Whether we want to be transported or not, is our decision. It also makes it a lot easier when you listen to it on Audio

message 7: by Andrhea (new)

Andrhea Carreon Ha! You're funny. XD

message 8: by Zogan (new) - added it

Zogan  Sada yes that s the spirit of 18th century writings. i wonder why the Britishers forgot their traditions and adopted American style both in living and behaving. these were their traditions which raised them to the highest ranks among nations of the world.

message 9: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Heavey Reading Sense and Sensibility at the moment. Enjoying every minute of it. I love how she writes. Her characterization is second to none. Much like Charles Dickens. They are believable and true.

Watched Pride and Prejudice on DVD with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehls. All i can say is (Wow! Colin IS Mr. Darcy! He would have made an excellent Heathcliff too!Such dark brooding masculinity and handsomness! )Loved that too but read the book first. Oh I have not been disappointed although I was worried I would be. I now look forward to reading the rest of her books :-)

Looking forward also to watching BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility with Dan Stevens and Dominican Cooper. Their adaptations; for me anyways; are second to none.

Beatrice My second Jane Austen and I agree with practically everything you wrote here. This was surprisingly a page turner...Wasn’t really expecting that. Also can we say SCANDALOUS. Took way too long to read though because I had to keep re-reading sentences to decipher what exactly they said… Reading certain things out loud definitely made a difference.