Rachel's Reviews > Pretty Amy

Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein

Mar 12, 2012

3.5/5 Stars

Before I read Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein I thought Amy and her best friends were going to be arrested because of a silly prank. I was really excited to find out what exact crazy prank was pulled. I created scenarios, in my mind, of some prank ideas. Would Amy, Lila and Cassie splatter food on the outside of Lila’s boyfriend Brian’s house? Or maybe they would steal the boys' cars.

Instead, Pretty Amy was a story of the effects of not only being arrested but recovering from ruining your life by sliding into the influence peer pressure to take drugs. Even more, Pretty Amy is a story of a girl completely devastated by her life and, is now, is striving to be happy. Amy thought she would be happy being the friend of the cool girls. But she is not.

I enjoyed reading through Amy’s story of self-discovery. I disliked feeling Amy’s depressed outlook of life for the most part of the novel but was amazed by how easily I was captured by Amy’s mood. I liked Amy as a character because she is a complex character with real feelings and problems. I enjoyed meeting the funny characters that Amy met too. From convenience store Conner who is happily married to the ditzy but well-meaning lawyer Dick Simon to Amy’s controlling mother, the characters all brought excitement to the story. I rejoiced in how individualistic each character turned out to be!

I feel that Pretty Amy is a very profound story that I admired and enjoyed. It’s the type of book that is best to read when you want a through-provoking contemporary novel. I probably would have liked Pretty Amy more if the plot was more fast-paced and exciting. There were some scenes that caused me to be eager to continue reading but there was times in the story where the plot appeared repetitive. I lost interest half-way through the novel, but, after a break, I was able to enjoy reading the book again.

Overall, Pretty Amy is a unique novel that I will remember in the years to come for its unique and inspirational take on a real teenager girl's feelings. This book has inspired me to be proud of my past mistakes and look forward to the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Amy.

March 12, 2012 – Shelved
April 16, 2012 –
page 198
April 28, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Valentine Aww, congrats on doing your first blog tour, Rachel! I've been craving to read this book since the cover release, so I'm excited to read your review! :)

Rachel Thanks Mimi! I hope you enjoy my review! It's scheduled for May 16th. The cover is PERFECT! The blue dress reminds me of my bat mitzvah dress!

Rachel I was introduced to this book by a cover reveal too!

message 4: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi Valentine May 16th -- gotcha! :) Remind me and I'll definitely be stopping by, Rachel! <3

Rachel Thanks! :)

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Naddeo this one sounds really great! I have a question though, how can one participate in a blog tour?! :)

Rachel :) it takes a lot of looking around. I feel the best authors to choose for your debut blog tour is debut authors like Lisa.
I am taking part of another blog tour that is still open, the last time I checked at least, for bloggers.
It's for the book Redheads are souless by Heather White. You can easily find out who do email by googling redheads are souless sign up. Their is a page for what to say in your email and you can find the contact email in the publicist contact me tab.
Hope that helps!

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Naddeo Great! Thank you! I always wondered because I never find any website to sign up or something :)

Thank you again!

Rachel You're welcome!

♥Rachel♥ This book was a surprise for me Rachel. I think a lot of us thought this would be a light fluffy vanilla and it ended up be very serious. Amy's journey was difficult. Great review Rachel. :)

Rachel Thanks Rachel! Pretty Amy was definitely a surprising but good book!