Brittney Pollock 's Reviews > Distant Echoes

Distant Echoes by Colleen Coble

liked it
bookshelves: good-authors

What do you get when you cross Hawaii, a dolphin, a girl, and a Naval Lieutenant? You get Distant Echoes. Kaia Oana is a dolphin Research Specialist at Seaworthy Labs, currently working on breaking the language barrier between dolphins and humans. She does this by teaching Nani, a wild dolphin she nursed back to health as a calf, clicks and sounds that associate with human words. One day while working on some of the sounds a missile test happening nearby goes wrong and the missile goes off course, torpedoing a tourist yacht, setting it ablaze. Kaia and Nani spring into action pulling the people out of the water and wreckage.
Jesse Matthews a Navy Lieutenant overseeing the missile test sees the missile go off course and immediately steers his boat towards the burning yacht. He is surprised to see that people are already being rescued by a girl and a dolphin when he gets there. This sparks his interest and will later change his life.
No one on the boat seemed to believe that the missile test malfunction was an accident. This prompts Jesse into launching an investigation to learn the truth. Was the system sabotaged? After seeing Kaia and Nani he coerced her, by going to her boss into helping with the investigation by patrolling the shores with a camera on Nani. Putting a serious risk on Kaia, Nani, and Jesse’s safety, and well as their hearts.
Distant Echoes was the first suspense book I have read. It was a bit different from the normal fiction and romance books I read. I found it intriguing. It kept me on the edge of my seat, but not too much that I would fall on the floor if I moved. I am riding both sides of the fence about that. Is it really suspense if it didn’t truly leave me wondering what is going to happen next, or give me anxiety about the lives of the characters I was reading about? On the other hand, for a first suspense novel was it a good thing that the anxiety level stayed moderately low?
Colleen Coble gave me something I love in a book. I love it when you are faced with 2 possible outcomes, and you don’t know which it could be in the end. For Distant Echoes, she did that using two antagonists. But which one is the one behind the missile test? By the end of the book, I had a pretty good idea of who was not really that bad guy just by making some inferences, but she keeps them subtle enough you still never know.
As a Christian Romance novel, it was subtle on the Christian part, but if we are being honest I feel it was a little too subtle. More than half the book went by before anything Christian based was even written, and you had to read quite a bit before the next. It was almost like they were just dropped into places to make it a Christian Romance. Perhaps it is better off described as suspenseful romance. From the standpoint of the whole book, this would be my one downside.
Overall, I think it is a lovely book. I think it is ideal for anyone wanting a breezy read they can finish quickly. I also think it is ideal for anyone who maybe wants to get away for a while. I recommend it for small groups because of the small group discussion questions, and for any teen girl or young adult.
I think I will read the second one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distant Echoes.

August 8, 2019 – Started Reading