Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Keep Me Safe

Keep Me Safe by Skye Warren

liked it

First, let me start by saying I love this author. I love her books. I was recently beside myself with love for a duet of hers. But this one? Sadly, this one didn't do it for me.
I saw the trigger warning. This isn't about it having triggers. Which it DOES- if non-consent is a trigger you best run far, far away from this book.
That said, I didn't feel the development in this book- not of the story, and not of the characters. I feel like this short novel could have been it's own duet, and it would have been much better. It is too much meat, not enough potatoes. There just wasn't enough real estate between the covers for this story to spread out. The "relationship" the heroine refers to (she questioningly refers to it as a relationship) with the hero was actually just one morning. And yet they were in love at the end. It was too insta-love for me. I felt like maybe a chunk of the book had gone missing from the middle. When had they fallen in love?
Additionally, the action was too compressed for me. The book is 129 pages, and the heroine got kidnapped three times in succession. It felt rushed. I can suspend belief and be on board with someone being kidnapped three times. But three times in the space of a day or two timeline is a bit much for me.
I didn't feel connected to the characters, nor to their relationship. Which bummed me out because I know this author can slay in that department. Her writing is solid. But this particular book was just too short to do this story justice, at least for me.
I am still going to read the other two books in this series, and since this is the initial book of said series I can't very well say I don't recommend it because I am not a fan of reading parts of a series. But I'll say this- if considered as a standalone I wouldn't recommend this particular book, nor plan a re-read. BUT, I since it is part of a series I have to say that if you plan to read the series I imagine you'd want to start with this one.
Also, final disclaimer: I really do very much enjoy this author's work. I just don't think this particular book, on it's own, is a great representation of what she can do. If this is going to be your first book of hers I implore you to go back and read the Masterpiece Duet instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep Me Safe.

August 7, 2019 – Started Reading