Romance With A Cause (formerly bookwithahook)'s Reviews > The Family Upstairs

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Read 2 times

I have tried to read from this author before and it didn't go quite as good, so I decided to see if I could finish this one.

The Family Upstairs is told from 3 point-of-views and we get scenes from both past and present. While some of the storytelling is compelling, it gets clouded with all the information the author is telling us because it's all over the place.

Try as I might, me and this author just aren't on the same page. That doesn't mean she isn't a good author, she is, but I am just not a fan of her writing style. I had difficulty keep up with the timelines and POV's since there are no headers on the chapters. I do think that was done intentionally to keep us confused with who was actually who and what was actually what.

But it wasn't my typical type of read.

Libby was adopted as baby and has recollection of her blood family. She inherits a mansion in the heart of Chelsea, which means her birth parents were rich at some point. Upon receiving this information, she is thrust into a new era of her life. She meets some seemingly good people.

Not all goes well when she starts digging into the past. Who and why becomes so much more than she ever expected.

Someone out doesn't want her around. And finding out the mystery surrounding her parents death might cause her more trouble than it's worth.

Despite my initial dislike of the book, it grew on my from the last 80% of the book. This is when plot really starts rolling and I found the book to chilling and very very disturbing.

This ARC was generously provided by Netgalley and Atria Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Upstairs.

Finished Reading
August 7, 2019 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 7, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 7, 2019 –
54.0% "I’ve tried to read one of her books before and didn’t really like it.

So far this one is much better but the POV’s keep flopping around from 1st to 3rd. I honestly don’t hate it but it’s a little annoying after a while.

But this books story is so screwed up!"
(Paperback Edition)
August 7, 2019 –
54.0% "I’ve tried to read one of her books before and didn’t really like it.

But this books story is so screwed up!"
(Paperback Edition)
August 8, 2019 – Shelved
August 8, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed (Paperback Edition)
August 8, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
August 8, 2019 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)