Robert Owens's Reviews > Animal Farm

Animal Farm by George Orwell

bookshelves: allegory, fable, politics, political-fiction, classic, fiction, 2019-summer-reading-program, kindle

Somehow, I never read this. I have visions of being in Mr. Raspa's English class (seventh or eighth grade) and someone had the book. I may be mistaken. I am a fan of Orville, particularly his essay Politics and the English Language. I decided to read this for my summer reading challenge.

Fabulous!

I think I was fearful I wasn't going to "get" it. Perhaps in seventh grade I would not have. With enough experience beneath me, it was clear what was being explored here. I may not have picked up every Russian excoriated here, but the system itself was on trial and Orwell made his case perfectly!

Of course, I was familiar with the phrase:

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS.

I wondered if that was just something applied to the story and not in the story itself. Nope, the original seven commandments were removed and replaced with this.

A reader almost feels sorry for the (lesser) animals. They work in what they feel is their best interests while the pigs (and dogs) profit. Indeed, this is why communism failed.

The accompanying appendix is wonderful. Orwell takes the media to task over its reluctance in publishing the book. In doing so, he calls them out on their picking winners and losers. Much of what he says is applicable to the United States media of 2019.

One would no more expect the Daily Worker to publicise unfavourable facts about the USSR than one would expect the Catholic Herald to denounce the Pope. But then every thinking person knows the Daily Worker and the Catholic Herald for what they are. What is disquieting is that where the USSR and its policies are concerned one cannot expect intelligent criticism or even, in many cases, plain honesty from Liberal [sic—and throughout as typescript] writers and journalists who are under no direct pressure to falsify their opinions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Farm.

August 7, 2019 – Started Reading