Dora Okeyo's Reviews > SCOUT

SCOUT by Sanjiv Lingard

What I find quite intriguing about YA novels is that it always seems like the world is falling apart for the characters and as the reader you find yourself asking "how much can a teen take?"
However, I can step back and ask this now that I am way beyond my teens, but back then, even a simple conversation was enough to make me break down and it's the same theme here. Scout is 17 years old having to care for her mentally ill mother, who once bright and comprehensive, cannot even recall her own daughter due to memory loss. She's also got to work and finds herself opening up to the possibility of love and with all this is this gift, her innate ability to find/track anything that's missing...so her greatest battle comes when she has to find a missing child.
It's a mesmerizing read. When Scout is tracking you are there with her and the author did such a tremendous job of describing her thoughts merging this with her feelings and fears so well that you cannot miss a beat of it.
I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a YA novel that has themes of love, mental illness and a bit of crime and mystery.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SCOUT.

Started Reading
2019 – Finished Reading
August 7, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Sanjiv (new) - added it

Sanjiv Lingard Thanks for the review!