Val's Reviews > That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea

That Will Never Work by Marc Randolph

bookshelves: giveaways, 2019, non-fiction

Fascinating AND entertaining!

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I won this book in a giveaway. (Thank you Hachette Book Group!) I was a little worried I would find That Will Never Work a bit dry but I was totally wrong. I found myself smiling/chuckling many times as I was reading it. Marc Randolph SO has a way with words and if he ever writes another book, I will be first in line to read it.

I so enjoyed reading how Marc would pitch ideas (customized dog food, customized baseball bats, customized shampoo — all sold over the internet and delivered by mail), and since Reed was the one with the cash, he was free to shoot down ideas without worrying about hurt feelings. I truly came to care about every one of the original ten employees. What a rollercoaster ride they all had the first few years. Just reading about how they came up with the first DVD mailers was fascinating. The part about what Amazon was like when it first started and was selling only books, was astonishing and hilarious!

I think I laughed the hardest at this, though:

"I can't help but note that as of this writing, the little DVD-by-mail company that Blockbuster could have purchased for $50 million is now worth $150 billion.
And guess where Blockbuster is?
They're down to one last store. It's in Bend Oregon."

Maybe I like that part so much because I live in Bend, Oregon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Will Never Work.

August 7, 2019 – Shelved
August 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: giveaways
August 24, 2019 – Started Reading
September 16, 2019 – Finished Reading
September 17, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
September 17, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Hutson That's an awesome review! I just started reading it today. Btw I'm from Portland Oregon! Way to go Oregon for having the last Blockbuster on Earth!

message 2: by Val (last edited Jan 10, 2020 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val Thanks, Matt! I was a bit surprised by how much I loved this book. Hope you enjoy it, too. (Let's hear it for Oregonians!😊)