Vinny's Reviews > Witchy

Witchy by Ariel Slamet Ries

75151915

bookshelves: arc, poc-author, debut, favorites
Recommended for: Fan of AHS, HP, GOT + The 100!

THIS πŸ‘ IS πŸ‘ SO πŸ‘ FREAKING πŸ‘ GOOD πŸ‘

With that being said, it's safe to say that Witchy is one of my favorite comics this year! The story started with a pretty intense scene. It's definitely a great way to lure you in and make you sympathize with the main character, Nyneve. I think I'm in love with almost every aspect of this book. The plot was intriguing, the world-building was amazing, and the characters were charming (even Banana the Crow has so much personalities!).

This comic reminds me so much of many things that I loved! Nyneve reminds me of Harry Potter, of course, who tried her best to stay grounded even though she's (most likely) the chosen one. The 'longer hair = greater power' bit reminds me of Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones. The witch's assessment reminds me of American Horror Story: Coven. That one scene where Nyneve released her braid to show Batu and Prill that she doesn't want to join the assessment not because she's afraid she will lose, but because she knows that she will win, reminds me of Luna from The 100 where she's basically saying the same thing, and I swear, I got massive goosebumps.

Also, you can check out the webcomics here!

Thank you Lion Forge and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | Letterboxd
I'm also a contributor for The Nerd Daily and feel free to check out my digital arts on RedBubble! ❀
βˆ™ flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchy.

July 30, 2019 – Started Reading