Rachel's Reviews > One Year Home

One Year Home by Marie Force

bookshelves: 2019-favorites, arc-reads, read-in-2019

John West doesn’t want to move forward from the heartbreak of finding the love of his life married to another man during the 6 years he was away. But there are so many people, from the Navy to the media, who want to hear John’s story, who want a piece of him that he can’t disappear to wallow like he wishes he could. Hiring Julianne, his former love’s new sister-in-law to manage the media requests is partly a good idea, partly a recipe for disaster: they are both determined to not like the other.

Julianne is looking forward to the challenge of representing John, her biggest client to date, but also knows there will be more to juggle than just the job. Her family doesn’t understand how she could have taken this job but they would never understand as Julianne realizes the lines between dislike and desire are blurring. She finds she admires everything John has done and is attracted to the man he is now.

I knew John would have to put aside his feelings for Ava, and it would only take time for that to happen. I loved watching as he discovered he could love another woman just as fiercely. Jules was a perfect match for him -- her calm, her confidence, and her ability to roll with the chaos that is his life right now are exactly what he needs as he finds himself now that his Navy career is at its end.

I enjoyed returning to this world and seeing where John took his decisions following learning of Ava’s impending marriage. We also get a peak at Ava and how she is holding up knowing John is alive and well.

I loved watching John find his happiness after everything he sacrificed when he left Ava 6 years before. He still loved her, but had to learn to move on after learning she was getting married to someone else. (This part of Five Years Gone wrecked me, and I needed this follow on story to feel better about everything that happened to John after he disappeared from Ava’s life.)

This was the closure I wanted for John from the time he came back into Ava’s life. His decisions caused them both pain, but after this story I feel like they both have the happily ever after they each needed.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Year Home.

Started Reading