Shelby's Reviews > The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11

By: Ellen Datlow
Genre: Fiction/ Horror
Publisher: Nightshade/ Simon & Schuster
Release Date: September 3, 2019

I received a copy of this from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

When I was a teenager I DEVOURED the horror genre. It was pretty much all I read. Then, I went years without reading anything. Like... at. All. OUCH. Anyways, when I saw this book, I snatched it right up and was more than ready to dive in.

This is an anthology of short fiction stories by “the best of the past year,” this one has a hefty 21 in total.

My impression after reading, and PLEASE, don’t take this the wrong way. I’m old. Take this in the way that your grandma doesn’t understand that newfangled rap music. 😆
The term “Horror” has changed drastically since I set that last book down all those years ago. I mean, I’m actually fascinated by the evolution it’s been through.

These stories weren’t bad at all, they were intriguing, macabre, off the wall, odd, it’s just being that it’s been so long, I found myself presumably “stuck in the past” just waiting for that story that would be like my beloved familiar favorites.

Let’s make one thing clear: I did my research, and I’m no fool. Ellen Datlow is THE Queen Of Horror. So I trust she knows what’s up with these stories.
I think perhaps I need to veer towards a more paranormal side? I did hear of a similar anthology with ghosts, now I would LOVE to give that a go!

I did have a few favorites in here:
The Donner Party by Dale Bailey
A Brief Moment Of Rage by Bill Davidson
And, White Mare by Thana Niveau. This one especially reminded me of my old school stories.

Overall, I think this is probably a great read for anyone familiar with today’s horror. Not only is it packed with a wide variety of tales, but it also offers a great opportunity to discover some amazing new authors you may not have known of.
As for me? I’m not mad I read it. It was an interesting experience. Fo sho.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 11.

August 6, 2019 – Started Reading