Erica Robbin's Reviews > A Field Guide to Color: Watercolor Explorations in Hues, Tints, Shades, and Everything in Between

A Field Guide to Color by Lisa Solomon

bookshelves: arcs, art, educational, nonfiction

FTC disclosure: I would like to thank Roost Books for providing me with an advance reader copy via access to the galley for free through the NetGalley program.

Such a fun, hands-on way to learn about watercolor from a book! I'd recommend this to anyone, whether you're new to watercolor painting or a seasoned artist. It would make a great gift and an excellent time at a paint party, family time, and small group crafting clubs.

I have only recently started to pick up painting about a year ago, something I hadn't done since probably high school. I'd classify myself as more of a novice, especially when it comes to watercolor and understanding color specifically. I learned a lot going through all the color exercises.

This book is well organized with fun activities and clear instruction. The overall content of the book as far as communication of color concept and application was intriguing and easy to follow.

I enjoyed the author's methods, pacing, and personality that she brought into the book. It was wonderful to experience learning from art book from someone who conveys as much enthusiasm as she did. It really felt like I was taking a class in person, built on solid theory with personal experiences and touches on topics such as color meditation exercises which I had never heard of before. It was really good practice for me, especially the color matching and graduated color exercises which also incorporated learning shapes and lines.

There were a lot of amazing resources in the back including additional book recommendations, tools, supplies, and shops. I am excited to check out the classes offered as recommended by the book which can be found at Creativebug.

Because it's set up like a workbook and I received a digital ARC, I was not able to try painting on the pages that are included in the published book, so I used my own watercolor paper and therefore, I cannot comment on that neat feature of the book other than it's a really wonderful idea!

Check out my and my sister's watercolor art from our paint party on my website here.

MY FAVORITES LINES:

"My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety."

~My Heart Leaps Up, a poem by William Wordsworth
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Field Guide to Color.

August 6, 2019 – Started Reading