David Robertson's Reviews > Zucked: Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe

Zucked by Roger McNamee

Read 2 times

Listened to this audiobook read by the author. Very informative on how the two Internet platforms(Facebook and Google) collect/exploit/sell data. Learned that filter/preference bubbles are mainly Facebook groups where everyone has similar views and are much more open to conspiracy theories and are allowed to flourish because there isn't any moderation or any real world contact. I can think of several people I know who live in the Facebook groups and believe everything they see online (Pizzagate anyone?). The conclusion is Facebook and Google are doing real harm to lots of people at the singular focus on growth and profits. Roger did a nice job in explaining how we are going to fix this mess and has a few concrete examples. The way we fix Facebook and Google is to split them up and combined massive regulation. They are monopolies and are stifling innovation because no startup can compete with either one of them. With the proper regulation this could be a really exciting time as we can unleash the creativity with new startups and stop the harm Zuck and his team are doing to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zucked.

Finished Reading