Stephanie Taylor's Reviews > One Year Home

One Year Home by Marie Force

57071915

Read 2 times. Last read July 2019.

I’m a huge Marie Force fan. Maybe not a superfan because I haven’t read all of her books…but I have read almost all of them. And there’s a reason I’ve read so many. She does a great job writing a variety of tropes within the romance genre. One of her books will usually suit just about any mood I’m in. So…are you in the mood for some really angsty romance? If you aren’t, you need to skip this book. If you are––read on!

While technically you can read One Year Home as a standalone (there’s enough backstory in it without being an information dump), I highly recommend you read Five Years Gone before you pick this one up. You are not going to want to miss how this all started.

John is America’s hero. A very, very reluctant one. He’s still reeling after losing his leg while chasing down the worst of the worst terrorist leader and losing the love of his life because of his service…and because of his lies. Julianne is his new publicist––and his ex’s new sister-in-law. There is no way a relationship can ever work between these two. Or can it?

At the end of Five Years Gone, my heart literally broke for John. He made some big mistakes with Ava, but he owned up to them, and I really, really wanted to see him get his happily ever after. Every hero deserves their HEA, right?! So how in the world was Marie Force going to make this right for him? Her answer: In the most angsty, convoluted way ever!

I love John’s character, but I freaking adore Julianne’s. She’s this quiet, capable, steady presence that he doesn’t realize he needs in his life. And she’s loyal to him. Not one other character, except maybe Muncie, is truly loyal to John. While they might like and respect him, they are genuinely torn in other directions. And a true American hero deserves nothing less than a heroine who loves him just the way he is and is loyal to him––and only him.

NICUnurse’s Rating: Again let me say that if you do not enjoy an angsty romance, this is NOT the book for you. But if you do…you are going to devour it like it’s your first meal in years. While it totally ripped my heart out in places, I can happily report that by the end, Marie Force had carefully knitted my shattered heart back together and we all lived happily ever after! (OK, maybe not me. But the characters, yes.) I give One Year Home by Marie Force 5 out of 5 stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Year Home.

Finished Reading