Caz's Reviews > Dealing in Death

Dealing in Death by L.J. Hayward

bookshelves: romance-other, queer-romance, mystery-thriller, m-m, 4-and-a-half-stars

L.J. Hayward has done a fantastic job of allowing readers to get to know Ethan Blade through Jack's eyes in these books; the juxtaposition of cold-blooded killer and surprisingly sweet man who longs for love and normality is brilliantly done, and worked so well that I could (possibly... maybe... almost...) have been happy without the snippets, codas and stories that have been written from his PoV. But I'm glad LJH did decide to include them, and now, that she's chosen to write this, which gives readers an insight on Ethan and Jack's relationship from Ethan's PoV, and sheds light on just exactly what Ethan was up to while he was apart from Jack in book two, Why the Devil Stalks Death. It also affords us more than a glimpse into the thoughts of this complex, damaged man; he's so wonderfully honest with himself about his feelings and his wants and desires - even if he isn't always honest with Jack -and my heart broke for him here when he was thinking about all the ways he wasn't good enough for the man he loves. I loved watching Ethan come to realise the truth of Jack's feelings for him and the way Jack sees him, and his fight to claim the life he wants and to be the man he wants to be - for himself and for Jack - is truly heartrending and utterly compelling.

With plenty of action and steam, this is a real treat. I think we've all got a hint as to where book 3 might be going, and it's going to be awesome.

Note: None of the books in this series work as standalones - apart (maybe) from the first one - so go back and jump in to Where Death Meets the Devil and take it from there. But block out some time, because once you start you won't want to stop!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dealing in Death.

August 6, 2019 – Shelved