Trista's Reviews > My Soul to Keep

My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

Mar 11, 2012

bookshelves: badass-heroines, cover-love, favorites, bean-sidhes-and-reapers, completed-series
Read from April 27 to 28, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I'm completely in love with this series. In this book, Kaylee and Nash discover that somehow some of their clasmates have gotten ahold of Demon's Breathe and are addicted to it, using it to get high "safely" because it won't show up in blood tests. Of course Kaylee can't catch a break and the two boys who are using it happen to be dating her best friend Emma and her cousin Sophie.
I really sympathized with Kaylee in this book. No one wants to be a tattletale but she actually wants to tell her dad, Nash's mom, and her uncle this time. It's Nash who's holding back information, being secretive, and using his Influence on Kaylee. And when Kaylee finds out why Nash is acting so weird and what he's done, it's such a betrayal. I love that she doesn't automatically forgive him even though she feels guilty and responsible for his situation.
It takes a while for Tod to really be a part of this book but once he does show up, he pulls at the heartstrings. He's so broken after they weren't able to save Addison in the last book and in this one, he's so protective of Kaylee, even when he's protecting her against his own brother. And his choice in the end, knowing what he's giving up to save Nash, is just so heartbreaking and brought tears to my eyes. It seems like I'm always saying 'Poor Tod'.
I like that with each new book, Kaylee learns a little more about the Netherworld and the non-human beings that populate her world. She's been kept in the dark for so long and has so much to learn but in some ways, not knowing how dangerous things can be might help her with her bravery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Keep.

Quotes Trista Liked

Rachel Vincent
“I got swirling eyes and the capacity to shatter windows with my bare voice. Tod got teleportation and invisibility. The supernatural world is so far from fair.”

Rachel Vincent
“Like I'm going to pass up an opportunity to smack your cousin.”
tags: humor, tod

Rachel Vincent
“Regret couldn't fix what he's broken. Apologies couldn't bring back what he's lost. What we'd lost.”

04/27/2012 page 92