Amelia's Reviews > The Lord's Highland Temptation

The Lord's Highland Temptation by Diane Gaston

Secrets greatly affect lives in this enchanting Regency era novel which is filled with one complicated dilemma after another. A soldier who is to be a future earl is tormented by a past incident, while the oldest daughter of a baron fights a losing battle when it comes to keeping her family’s estate running smoothly. When they meet, there is a surprising connection, but know unsaid facts will always keep them apart. I was kept engrossed in the multitude of unanticipated happenings in the romantic story, where situations could either bring happiness to numerous individuals or take away most everything that matters. Diane Gaston blends historical accuracies with imaginative fictional situations to create an engaging read.

After the brother of Lucas Johns-Ives dies during the same skirmish against the French that also injured him, the Englishman feels remorse in knowing the title of Earl of Foxgrove will one day be his. This overwhelming regret keeps him from remaining at his home, and he goes to Scotland where wandering about aimlessly is his only goal. Upon becoming very ill, he ends up at the home of a Scottish baron where his daughter, Mairi Wallace, does all she can to keep him alive and her efforts pay off. To repay her kindness, he agrees to help her family during a crisis, where his good intentions might lead to additional difficulties.

THE LORD’S HIGHLAND TEMPTATION intrigues with interesting and often unexpected incidents. Lucas is plagued by what happened to his older sibling, as it made his own life much more important though he never desired the title. But pretending he has no duties waiting on him is much easier than facing them. Mairi also has an unsettling event that troubles her, and I really felt for how much it influenced her everyday life. As the story progresses and more truths come out, I become totally caught up in what might occur to not only this couple but those for whom they care.

Historical details bring realism to the story, while colorful descriptions had me visualizing the setting for each scene. From fancy balls to daily routines, I got to see what the characters experienced. Some scheming is going on, too, and I wanted a positive outcome yet had no idea if my wishes would turn out to be true. An entertaining book with appealing characters and notable circumstances.

I voluntarily reviewed the book, and all comments are my honest opinion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord's Highland Temptation.

August 4, 2019 – Started Reading